My Amazon Lily Is Blooming Again
There was a time when I used to take shots of every flower in our garden but since we have it landscaped two years ago, everything now looks green except for my potted plants lining up one side of the wall. My Amazon lily blooms every year giving that sweet fragrance and oh so lovely flowers. Here are some facts about this showy plant. It belongs to the genus Eucharis and is called Eucharis grandiflora. It is a slow growing bulb plant that produces star-shaped cluster of white flowers which have a prominent corona usually tinged with green.
And here are more facts about the Amazon Lily:
- Amazon Lily is a bulbous perennial plant.
- Amazon Lily plant leaves are basal and narrow into petioles.
- Amazon Lily is a beautiful shade loving plant from South America.
- The shinny dark green foliage is very attractive.
- The broad stalked leaves are 20-55 cm long and 10-20 cm broad.
- The glossy leaves of Amazon Lily plant are deep green, several inches wide and in the form of a rosette.
- The tall Amazon Lily spikes bear fragrant , waxy, long lasting white flowers.
- Mature clumps can flower at different times of the year but more often it will flower in the spring.
- It likes shade and sheltered areas and makes an excellent potted plant.
- The bulbs will go dormant if the temperatures goes near freezing.
- Amazon Lily plants can flower twice a year.
- All parts of Amazon Lily plant are poisonous if ingested.